Flex Seal Review: Deceptive Website Practices

Flex Seal Review: Deceptive Website Practices 51.11% satisfaction rating from 9 complaints

Flex Seal, at getflexseal.com, is offered for $19.99 a can, plus $9.95 P/H. A second can is “free” for just a second P/H charge of $9.95. To place an order, you must first give all your name/address/credit card information. I did that and then indicated that I wanted two cans, which would have cost a total of $39.89, by my figuring – there was no “shopping cart” to check this. The next screen indicated that I could Jumbo-size my order for $9.98 (I think) a can. I decided to do that, which would have increased my order total to $59.85, I thought. But here’s where the deception comes in, big-time. The next screen offered to move my order to the head of the line for an additional charge of about $8.00, which I declined.

Without offering me a chance to review and then submit my order, as soon as I declined the additional speed-up-the-order charge, the next screen thanked me for my order and indicated that it was being processed and showed an order confirmation of paying for TWO cans @$29.97 each (no “free” second can) and postage of now $39.80! Nowhere had it been indicated that super-sizing would eliminate the “free” second can and double the postage for each can! so, the total order was now $99.74! I am very careful when ordering online and would not have skipped the chance to review the order before submitting.

I have no idea if the product works – the testimonials on-line from Googling appear to be written by the company – but I am going to “Refuse/Return to Sender” when the package arrives and dispute the charge on my credit card. Let the buyer BEWARE with Flex Seal! Their website practices are deceptive, if not downright fraudulent.

Tags: flex seal reviews, flex seal review, flex seal scam, www getflexseal com, get flex seal reviews, flex seal complaints

138 thoughts on “Flex Seal Review: Deceptive Website Practices

• melvin spinoza

the exact same $103 deception charge was done to me plus a fraudulent$4 tax when inter state commerce does not allow a tax.352-597-1740

• Flex

Ditto, Ditto Ditto! I wanted one can, but clicked on 2 since I was confused as to whether I needed to indicate that I would go along with their second can offer. It was not obvious that the shipping is $9.95 FOR EACH CAN. So What I thought would be a $30 order turned out to be $78. The thing that really bugs me, and I’M GUESSING IS ILLEGAL, is that they do not show a summary of the order before asking for credit card confirmation. Luckily I was able to call them at 7am the next day and stop the order. They did agree to knock off $9 of the shipping charge

• Larry LaRose

The company did exactly the same to me. My order should have been $19.95 plus S & H turned into $98.00. I called the company 3 times to cancel and keep getting told thay cannot access the order for 24 to 48 business day hours. This is a very deceptive way to operate a web site. Having no way to review, change, correct your order is not good business practice. Hopefully Visa can block the charges before they apply to my account.

• thinking twice

This product really looks useful and i was thinking of buying it but since hearing how deceptive the web site is on the true cost of the product I am not going to bother. I will wait till it comes out in a store.

• john

I ordered one can and kept hitting no thanks, next thing i know they gave me a second can that i didn’t order. What a scam…

• marty m

These experiences of consumers being overcharged is just what I suspected. I was looking for reviews before I even tried ordering; the review pages had the flex seal ads on them so the “reviews” were just “come-ons” and then just try to leave the page…..popups kept you on the page….like begging you to get suckered in. Wow…..talk about red flags! I really need a product like they claim to sell but I am going elsewhere for sure.

• Lloyd

I wonder just how many thousands of people including myself have been deceived and how much money this company has stolen from hardworking citizens. This is where the governments needs to step in….. yeah right.

• Chip

Thank for all your input, I have decided NOT to purchase this product… Thanks to all you…They won’t get me caught up in there web of bull@#%$

• J. Thomas

Glad I looked here before I ordered this product. It looks great, but I am not going to order because of these issues.

• Rich

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m getting tired of the infomercial spots that overcharge and underperform. So many now have “double the order” for free, when the additional S&H costs more that the product is worth…..thanks again. By the way, if you have seen the infomercial spot for the new Shark Navigator – Lift Away vac, reviews are pretty good…..but you can buy it at Bed Bath & Beyond for less and get a 20% coupon on line.

• Tom

Yes they got me to. Once you place the order there’s no way to go back to ck it to make sure thats what you ordered. So needless to say so far they got me for $99.74, which was going to have $20.00 knocked off when I bitched enough, but I have’nt seen that yet, and the best part of the whole thing is , the s#$t don’nt work. And it’s amazing that you get the same little, I don’t knowt he or she is , but what dose that tell about this company’what are the odds of getting the same person every time. And there hrs, unheard of.

• Terry

On the websites that portray products seen on TV, the 2-for-1 deal is a trick that forces one into buying two at the price of one. HOWEVER, the actual cost will always be double, because shipping & handling costs are approximately double the asking price. The second can, item, etc., is not really free. And the buyer has no choice purchasing only one. It is forced as a 2-for-1 sale. The consumer is then scammed into the purchase, because there is no way to review the cost before finally submitting. The credit information should always be the last thing, not the first. And a final review of the cost should not be deceived. The DOJ needs to look into this practice.

• Ann Topmiller

I want to thank every person who shared their negative experiences with other consumers. Thanks to your warnings, I will NOT be buying this product. You saved me a lot of angry frustration. I suggest contacting the BBB, the U.S. Postmaster General, the FTC, and your state’s Attorney General….scam artists like these need to be stopped, and their victims should get their money back. To file a complaint with the U.S. Postmaster General go to this link. http://www.ConsumerComplaintAgency.org, To file a complaint with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov, To file a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) follow this link. http://www.bbb.org/us/Business-Complaints/, GOOD LUCK everyone, and THANKS again!

• Bill

I almost ordered FlexSeal, but came to this site first – and so glad I did. If it sounds too good to be true – it probably is!

• jose

I was thinking to get this flex seal product; but, after I read these useful comments and reviews… no way jose. Thank you

• T

I found some at a As Seen On TV store inside the Hagerstown Valley Mall but was hesitant till I can find out from others if it really worked or not especially with the hurricane coming up the coast!

• Bob Jenkins

Why is it our Government only protects themselves? An FTC requirement to telemaketing companies should be that the final screen or end of call should be “do you want the order placed?”. If no you can opt out. When my wife ordered a product a while back and the shipping, handling and extra costs appeared, I just notified the Credit Card company that I did not order. They removed the charge and we threw the items in Goodwill.

• DC

We fell for this too before reading the reviews. Never again will we do this. SCAM…SCAM…SCAM!!! We emailed customer service, they told us to call the 800 number which switched us to a 900 number that you have to pay an additional $1.25 a minute to get your issue handled. One can ended up costing us $72.00. I am going to post this on ripoff.com and warn everyone on facebook

• Laura

Yes I fell for this scam too – I am so angry I could spit fire. I stupidly called the number and “thought” I was ordering the offer plus an additional can for $9.95 – nope hit my debit card for $79.95 so I called customer service and I kept getting – well if you keep the additional cans then I will give you $10 off your next purchase — WTH? Next purchase I am getting way more than I wanted and with shipping charges its debatable whether I will come out to the good with sending this extra back. They said since I called it already counted 1 order when asked how many I wanted I said 1 = 2… HORSE HOCKEY!! What a scam – so today I get this call from Customer Service confirming my order and I spilled my guts with her too she hung up but quickly I betcha they won’t call again.

• Nancy

I had the very same experience. I did not understand their order procedure. I wanted two cans at the price of 19.99. My order came up as 2 X that 19.99, after putting in my card number. When I got the total on the order the order was 39.99 & the shipping was $39.99. Not good business. I will never order from them again no matter how good the product might be.

• Janie King

Thank y’all for taking the time to post these ordering problems. You saved me time and trouble. One person on another site suggested spray-on truck bed liner would work as well. Cheaper, too.

• Dave

For those of you that haven’t already purchased this product, but would like something equivalent to it, if not better.. Go to your local automotive supply and get spray on truck bed liner. It is by far a better product, and you can really buy just as many cans as you want. lol You can also get it in a can of this product, that you actually paint on.

• roberta

WANT TO SAVE $15????????? IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING FLEX SEAL, JUST GO TO THE AUTO SUPPLY STORE AND BUY RUSTOLEUM UNDERCOATING. IT WORKS EXACTLY THE SAME AND WAS ON SALE AT AUTOZONE FOR $4.50+ TAX. WE FIXED OUR LEAKING GUTTER WITH IT AND IT WORKED FINE. AND NO SHIPPING FEE

• Cookie

“But WAIT—” How many times do you hear this on TV?? Every time they claim to give you something for nothing–They will Rape you on the “Extra P?H” Charges!! Not false advertising–just playing on the people that don`t understand—It Only happened to me a few years ago–That was IT!! Pay attention from here on…!

• JAZ

THANK YOU to everyone who posted about the scam ordering/postage issues!!! We need this type of product, but now I’ll just go to the auto supply store instead.

• Joseph

I’ll wait for it to show up in stores. That have as seen on tv. Ads that way avoiding s&h charges. Or Over charging on credit card.

• Ronald

Thanks for all the reviews, I was also thinking of getting this and am glad I came here first !! The truck undercoating is a great idea think I will give that a shot .

• Thomas

I’m sure glad that I got to these reviews for the “Flex Seal” product! I was just on the verge of ordering the “special 2 cans for $19.95″ !!!! I had fallen for the infomercial after seeing it over and over. “If you tell a lie long enough, it’ll be accepted as true.” (like politicians ….) I already knew about the truck bed spray and undercoating but the parts store is 12 miles, 1 way from my house. Not being able to drive much anymore, ordering this online seemed a simpler solution to the leaks I have around the vent pipes on my roof. As you grow older towards the age of dust and dirt, this scam is just stealing and getting away with it! Thank you ALL that took your time to alert us ….

• geof

Had same expeirence. But I ordred the 2 cans of flex seal since 2nd was free. After hitting order button, the two cans were not $20,but $40 and the shipping was another $40. I cancelled my order/refused shipment and made a compalint to my credit card folks.Be careful, because they only refunded me 1/2 on my first credit card bill. Had to call flex seal to “remind” them they owed me another $40. ust got it on next statement. Told flex seal operator they are rip off artists.

• Edgar

Thanks everyone I was about to order 4 spray cans too, and hoping to get the other 4 free cans, and about to be charged 80 dollars in S&H? where it’s comming from south pole! naah!!! @ Roberta , you’re right ,Autozone is the right store, thanx for your advice.

• Dodie

Thanks all of you for the warnings, as I can ill-afford this scam, and special thanks to Roberta for the Rustoleum alternative; as well as Ann Topmiller for the links that can help all of you that got scammed. I encourage you to link up and stop these type of practices.

• donald

I think they need a personal visit from the local sheriff’s dept. Does anyone know where their corporate office is? It’s probably just a mail drop in one state with another person in another state taking calls. The flexseal people certainly are slick. I haven’t fell for their scam and hope each person that did will do research before believing what they see advertised on TV. Sure would like the name of the person collecting all the money though. What he’s doing is legal, but morally, he needs his butt kicked. But like PT Barnum said ” A sucker is born every minute.”

• patwalsh54@yahoo.com

I bought 2 cans.bottom line I GOT RIPPED OFF.total price came out to 59.95.9.95 shipping per can.they came in the same box.It took 2 cans to cover the frame on one window.this company should refund money to everyone who bought this crap.there should be a class action law suit against this company.

Their info is:
    Flex Seal
    P.O. Box 8205
    Van Nuys, CA 91409
    (800) 307-6201

And their Better Business Bureau rating is (drum roll): F
    (They are NOT BBB Accredited)

The following is an email I wrote to Flexseal and the ‘genius’ reply I received. Hey – at least I’m a ‘valued customer’! Obviously I didn’t fall for their scam. If I’m THAT desperate to get it, I notice it’s on Amazon for $25 (free shipping, if you have Prime). I notice the average rip-off from the comments above (and on other sites) is about $75-$100. If JUST a 1,000 people got screwed – that’s $75-$100K. If 10,000 people got screwed, then that’s $750K – $1M. Pretty good deal for the guy who had to use 20 cans of this stuff to make his rowboat supposedly waterproof!:

From: flexseal@webcsr.info
    To: [Me]
    Subject: RE: Flex Seal questions [832266:3093895]
    Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:47:43 -0700

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank for your inquiry about the Flex Seal. The special offer (Main Offer) at this time on our WebSite and TV infomercial is ” Order one large can of Flex Seal today for only $19.99 plus $9.95 P&H and get a 2nd large can for FREE, just pay a separate $9.95 P&H ” that will make $39.89 as the total of an order (Sales tax may be applied according to state and zip code). You may upgrade to jumbo cans by adding $4.99 on each can.

16 ounce (large) = 10 ounce NET (meaning there is 10 ounces in the can)
    20 ounce (jumbo) = 14 ounce NET (meaning there is 14 ounces in the can)

A case of 24 Large Cans is available for $431.76 plus $39.95 S&H and a case of 48 Large Cans is available for $719.52 plus $59.95 S&H. A case of 24 Jumbo Cans is available for $551.52 plus $39.95 S&H and a case of 48 Jumbo Cans is available for $959.04 plus $59.95 S&H. If you would like to place an order, please call customer service for further assistance.

If you have further questions, please call customer service for further assistance.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Flex Seal

Received: 9/3/2011 10:40 AM
    To: flexseal@webcsr.info
    Subject: RE: Flex Seal questions

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a few questions/comments about Flex Seal (from your site – https://www.getflexseal.com/):

1.) I see references to a ‘Jumbo’ can (as opposed to a ‘Large’ can), but I don’t see anyplace on your site to order the ‘Jumbo’ can.
    a.) How many ounces is the ‘Large’ can?
    b.) How many ounces is the ‘Jumbo’ can?
    c.) How much is the ‘Jumbo’ can?
    d.) Is the S/H the same amount for two ‘Jumbo’ cans as it is for two ‘Large’ cans ($19.90 for two ‘Large’ cans)?

2.) I understand the high price of S/H (to make up for the price of the product – and all infomercial companies do this.) But don’t you think the additional $9.95 S/H for the second ‘free’ can is a little much?! The price for ‘handling’ two cans is the same as for one can and the extra shipping weight of the second can is nominal (which the first $9.95 way more than covers anyway).

3.) Adding it all up – in the end – you’re getting two cans for $40, so the second can is not ‘free.’ It’s the exact same price as the first can. Maybe that’s good marketing, but do that many people really fall for that?!

All I wanted was to try a couple of cans (which may or may not even work). If it does – great. If it doesn’t – well, shame on me for getting fooled. I never have a problem paying for something, but I do have a problem with being told something is ‘free,’ when it’s obviously not. (There’s no free lunch in life.) How about just saying, “Send us $40 even and we’ll send you two cans of Flex Seal. We think it’ll work for you and when it does, please tell your friends and neighbors and this way we can grow our business.”

Thanks for your time,

Mike

• Nups

This is a classic “Shipping/Handling Scam”, Look here – First, the offer is 2 Flex Seal Spray Cans for $19.99 + $9.95 s/h for 1st Can + $9.95 2nd Can (Which they say if free but you still have to pay for the shipping) = $39.89, THIS IS ONE QUANTITY. Now the crux is there is an quantity option, remember the above mentioned offer of $40 is ONE UNIT, so if you select multiple quantities multiply it with $40. Most of us unknowingly select more quantities assuming it to be one Flex Seal Can + One Free. Second – You cannot see the summary of your purchase before confirming it. Try to cancel the order and its almost impossible. They will give you all the reasons saying order number is still not in the system, your order has been shipped and so on. You still pay for the shipping/handling if you want to return it. So both ways they make money. As far as the Flex Seal is concerned it does not do what it claims to do. It might work only for some minor Ieaks but certainly not for what is advertised. I came across this website asseenontvonsale.com/tools/flex-seal-liquid-rubber-sealant/ which lists down some good alternatives, you may have to go through a lot of review to find the alternatives.

• patrick grady

I am outraged. I was seeking what looked like a useful and practical product and was grievously deceived. Let’s just start with a 39.80 shipping fee for the two cans I thought that I had contracted by phone with a live person for 19.99 (the second can I was told was free). Instead I was sent four cans for 39.98. Do the math! While I thought I was purchasing a single can I ended up with four cans at 39.98 plus the shipping cost for a grand total of 79.78. MInd you, the professional seeming TV commercial heralded the product for 19.99. Once they had the information regarding my credit card I was treated to a series of confusing offers for additional products without benefit of a live representative at the other end. Finally, out of desperation I hung up not knowing whether the request for a single 19.99 can of the product would be honored. I have consulted with my credit card company and will not pay for the order and am returning it to this company and keeping a record of the tracking number. They need to be investigated and shut down. I will pursue litigation if possible to stop this scam.

• Fernando SIlva

I was ready to order when I noticed that the order didn’t show the S&H price, so back off for a second to see if I could find the real S&H price, to my surprise I got to this website and decided that I will not fall for this fi…ing scam. Thanks to you all and I hope that more people would do a real research before buying and getting rip off by these crooks.

• Jen

Thank you to Ann above for her helpful links, which gave me a constructive way to fix this problem for my parents. They aren’t savvy about online forms but wanted a way to warn others about their problems with the Flex Seal company and their billing practices. The charges were outrageous, the order was wrong and they got charged 3 times what was quoted to them on the phone during their original order placement. Thank you for the help on this forum! Companies can’t just do this to people and get away with it! I get angry every time I see a commercial on the TV for this stuff, thanks to what they did to my parents.

• Patricia Clark

I ordered the buy one and get one free plus shipping and handling. I received two orders separately, with a statement of $39 twice. I called and got a return address. Mailed the unopened box with everything name and adress. That was in July now Sept I called to find out why I hadn’t gotten a refund. They didn’t receive it and it’s toooo long ago to locate the information to refund. This company should be stopped. How many other people have they ripped off?

• Ed Porter

I have a safety precaution for scammers such as these. I use Shop-Safe ( B of A ) for credit cards I use in online purchases. This lets me put a strict limit on any online purchase. When I saw the Flex-Seal ad, it showed I would be able to buy one, get one free ($19.95) plus shipping and Handling ($9.90). Total: $29.85 and maybe a bit more if they added sales tax. So, I set my limit at $35.00. Seemed like more than enough. When they processed, they tried to get a lot more. I never actually saw how much. But it was more than $35.00 and I was saved from the scam. I was sad because I wanted the product. But, thanks to this blog, I will now find the Rustoleum product or else use the equivalent at O’Reiley’s. Thanks everybody!!!
    ..Ed

• Rick

I think I’ll just wait for it to show up at the dollar store to give it a try. You all have to know that it’ll be there sooner or later, next to the SuperTeflex Oil Reinforcer.

• Mike

I had the same experience with a telephone order. They claim that I upgraded my order to the jumbo cans and that I ordered 2 sets for a total of cans. They charged me $99.74. After being on hold for 45+ minutes they refused to do anything. I spoke to a supervisor offered $5 refund and offers to credit me for one set if I returned it. Problem is I have to pay to ship it back. If this is not fraud, I do not know what is.

• Jean

Yep, I got taken also! Wish I checked here first! I ordered after 5 on Friday so could not talk to anyone. I sent them an email, saying I was very unhappy and only wanted what was advertised. I didn’t get a reply to that email, but did get an email saying my credit card had been rejected. I called the number and was promised by a very apologetic (probably underpaid) costumer service worker that my card would be charged only $39.98. (Seems the email saying my card was rejected was probably bogus also as I was not asked to give my card number again, only confirm the last four digits). My husband really wants to try it, so we will see if I get what was actually advertised.

• W. Smith

I knew better but the product fits the need I have for some repair jobs. The product is probably as advertised but the seller is a “Crooked, Rotten, @#!&$#@) This confirms not to buy anything from the internet until you read some reviews. This bunch is bottom of the cesspool, so my advice, from esperience, RUN, not walk from this Website. I will be trying to get the word around by internet, even more. By the way, call the customer service phone number and hold 2-4 hours to get some d***a** that knows exactly nothing.

• W. Smith

They don’t cancel orders, issue credits for orders, or issue credits for returns, without maybe you hiring a lwayer. Good Luck!

• Sally

Penny call your credit card company and cancel, they will probably ask you to put it in writing, but if this company is bogus the credit card company will make it good

• Eliz

I went to order and like one other I had to fill in everything and then it came to quantity I didn’t know if I needed to order 2 for the buy 1 get 1 free or order 1…….so decided I better call and see if I could understand it better………..you are talking to a stupid voice mail and so decided to come and see if anyone else was having any difficulty understanding the wording and am so very glad I NEVER PUSHED the order button……………..Glad I wasn’t the only one who feels stupid not understanding the wording of their website……….

• Betty from Philly

Just thought I would give everyone another warning – watch your credit cards. I was taken by this Flex Seal offer too but luckily I check my Discover card statement on line very frequently. A few days after I ordered the Flex Seal, a charge for close to $400 appeared on my statement for a purchase from New Egg and it sure wasn’t mine!. When I called the credit card company they told me that another charge for around $500 was due to be posted to my account. The fraud division cancelled my card so beware these guys must have some really shady people involved with them or their website is not very secure because all of this started right after my order to them. I don’t know if this stuff works or not because I haven’t tried it yet.

• tturow

I, too, was ripped off by their ordering process. What really annoyed me was that it was shipped by U.S. mail, where they clearly make a lot of money. The website is deceptive, and difficult to navigate without spending more money than you intended. My order took about two weeks to arrive, and they called me a week after I placed my order to pitch a gas card… under the guise of following up on my Flex Seal purchase. I only hope this expensive product works… if their chemists are as good as their marketing people – maybe it will be OK. I will never buy from them again, and likely they don’t care.

• Sandy

Same thing happened to me as all the others. I ordered two cans (plus two free, not including shipping). I upgraded to “Jumbo,” and got six cans for $149.99!!!! Total rip-off. Somewhere out there must be an attorney for a class-action lawsuit. Please sign me up!!!!

• Julie

I ordered off the phone. It was an automated system; there was no option to talk to a real person. I, too, ordered ‘two’ thinking it meant the one can plus the free can. It took me an additional nearly ten minutes to turn down all the rest of their ‘offers’. Finally they said my order was complete. Then I got a charge in my bank for $119.98, which made me bounce a check! I was so mad! I called the customer service number that I obtained from the banking information. That lady claimed I had ordered 3 sets and that they were already on the way. I told her that if they have a good product then they should not be afraid to answer their own phones and not do this to people. She gave me a return authorization number for the four extra cans, and said if I fax them my bank statement they will cover my bounced check fee. But apparently I have to pay shipping back? I am so upset.

• Donna

Wow, my husband was wanting me to order some of this stuff…glad I checked here first!!! I hope all of you get your money back. It irks me to no end when a company does this to people! There are a whole lot of honest companies out there that are doing good work…but companies like Flexseal ruin it for the good ones.

• Chas Turner

I have figured out a way to avoid the rip-off and scamming process when using web sites like http://www.getflexseal.com for the first time. Especially the sites that require you to input your credit card info before you place your order. People, it is simple, legal, and free. Just Google Test Credit Card Numbers or Free CC Test Numbers. These numbers will work because these sites run your numbers manually. If the product or site is legitimate, they will email you that there is a problem with your credit card, then you can give them a correct number if you want to complete the order or just place another order using your correct credit card number. This system saved me from these charges: $29.97 a can (x 2) and $9.95 a can processing fee (x 2) also, $27.85 shipping charge. A total 107.69.

Order Confirmation E-Mailed on 2011/09/11 at 17:35:14 Eastern Time.

Flex Seal™ P.O. Box 8205, Van Nuys CA 91409. 800-307-6201.

Monday through Friday from 5am-5pm Eastern Time.

DO NOT REPLY to this email, it is sent from an unmonitored email box.

Order Date: 09/xx/2011

US
    Ship To:
    Product Code

Description

Price (each) Quantity Extended FLEX016 Flex Seal™ 20 oz can 29.97 2 59.94 FLEX017

Flex Seal™ 20 oz can – just pay processing 9.95 2 19.90 PP795

Priority Processing 0.00 1 0.00

Cardholder’s Name: ________________

Credit Card (Last Four Digits): 1881 Expiration: 10/01/2011

E-Mail: _______@flexseal.net

Sub-Total: 79.84 Sales Tax: 0.00 Processing & Handling: 27.85 Total: 107.69

Thank you for your order!

• Kim C.

Thanks Ann for taking the time to give us the correct websites to go to . I just got off phone with a supervisor. Once they receive the unopened box with the RMA # she gave me they will go ahead an credit my charge card. This only happened after arguing with someone from billing.for 20 mins. Everyone is correct about the website, once you submit your info it is automatically submitted you are given no choice to accept or cancel. Hopefully they will honor their credit to me. I will be filing with the BBB !!!

• Wanda-Jean

I experienced the same situation as all of the above – However the BIG PROBLEM is that the product does not work – this was a very expensive lesson to someone who is retired and on a fixed income – I was hoping to get a product that would do a job without contracting an expensive professional to do the job – well, DUHHHHHH – they got me – would have been cheaper! I will make the attempt to retrieve some of the expense but from what I have read here I may as will just keep the two cans and use it for minuscule jobs around the place.

• Wanda-Jean

One addiional comment – I stated that the product does not work – it did not work for the prupose I needed it for – it might be useful for certain projects as shown in the pictures – a water pipe leak, etc. Still the charges and handling of orders are very unprofessional.

• W.D.H.

I was ready to order, till I read all these complaints, many thanks to ALL whom took the time to submit such Great Information!!!!!!!!!!

• Gary

Same thing happened to me last night. Thought I was ordering 1 can and ended up with a $105. bill charged to Credit Card. Called Visa this morning and charge wasn’t on card yet so they told me they could block the card, which wouldn’t accept any new charges but now I have to wait ten 10 days for them to send me a new card and # . I would wait a year to keep those SOB’s from getting my $. Can not believe these people are still in business.

• Daniel

Before you buy this item, try and find it in a Seen On TV store. I found one and paid 17.99 for it which seems high but not compared to what other people bought it for on here.

• Bob

I thank all of you for your insightful comments. You have saved me a lot of time, money and anger. Get Flex Seal certainly exemplifies “Caveat Emptor.”

• George

A Thank You to all of you who posted your ‘real customer’s review’. As you all know all the other reviews are done by other a.h’s from the same company. F.n loopholes that our government allow and these guys go without any prosecution. To me as soon as I see a p.o box address only for any bussiness it just raises questions. That is how I ended looking for reviews..Thanks again to all of you honest peeps.!!

• Keith Martin

As a 3rd generation, professional roofer of 20 years let me say this… The average service call fee for roofers, in my area at least, is $85. Add a little material cost to that and you’re still under $150 for a “normal” leak repair. In my experience, this type product does work for certain applications, but roof leaks are generally not spray & fix situations. I was actually interested in this product but was put on alert by their claim that simple roof repairs “will cost you thousands!”, which I know to be false. Thanks for the good info everyone, and please call a reputable professional repairman for your roof repair needs. Remember, everything inside your house is protected by what’s on top of your house. As an update, the Rustoleum and some of the store-brand products with similar labeling are great for minor things.

• Sandra Griffin

They are a rip off! They added a tax amount to my order that only God knows how they figured that out. I called in to have it fixed, they sent me a new invoice! How cute….! I am still going back and forth with them. Yes, they are a scam!! To top it off the product does not work…

• Ginger Gentle

Thanks To all who shared their information. I had not ordered and now I will not. And now I know how to report it if I am ever scamed. Also I will pay a visit to Autozone.

• Eden Martin

In the commercial, I noticed the black (rubber) paint sprayed on the leaking bucket with the crack was different when they returned after 48 hours. That made me spooked about the entire operation. Check it out. You have to stand on your head to see it because the bucket is upside-down in the first picture and right-side-up after the 48 hour waiting period. You can see a distinct difference in the sprayed on black stuff.

• JTB

I saw the ad for FLEX-SEAL on TV and felt I had a need for it. According to the ad it cost 19.99 +S&H of 9.99 . I called in an order Saturday and as usual they try to get you to upgrade which I did at an extra cost of 4.99 The thing I wasn’t liking is they asked for and I gave my info 1st, they also try to get you to buy other products and as soon as I said that all I wanted was the Flex-Seal instead of being given a total costs they hung up. Today I find my account is being charged $ 99.74. I will get a refund but will have to return the product wait for it to be processed when it arrives and most likely pay the doubled cost of S&H. Is there any way I can get out of paying these charges since I am returning the product ASAP

• JJJ

I just completed my order for Flex Seal. I am glad I read these reviews, it made the order a breeze. I got an order confirmation for th e$39.89 which I expected. The upsell is ridiculous though. Thanks for this page for the warning. We’ll see how the product works to repair a fountain.

• russ lewis

thanks everybody. was about to order. decided to check reviews first. no thanks jose and juanita.
    will check out the truckbed sealer. anybody know product name?

• Mahesh

I fell for it too! The order went in for $79.78. Had them return $19.9 which they charged for S/H. What worries me more is, a call I received after placing a order telling me that the product is shipped. The lady enrolled me in something ($50 gas card free with it) that I could cancel afterwords (& still keep the $50 card!). Now I don’t see anything on that with the package of cans. I hope they don’t automatically charge my CC any more! Has anybody experienced the same?

• Dextrosimine

I can’t believe scams like this can continue, even after so many have been ripped-off. If you are a hacker, PLEASE hack their website and do anything you can to make it not work any longer. I only wish I had the skills to do that!

• Rusty

Betty is right. Aside from ordering 2 cans but receiving and getting billed for 5. My wifes account has now been hit for 2 seperate charges that her bank is investigating. There are reports that flex seal is selling our account numbers people, so you may want to really look over your card statements.

• Rhonda

I was in the process of ordering this from their website when I noticed the shipping and handling charges were ridiculous. I pressed the start over button to cancel the order and then did a search for the product on amazon. I ended up purchasing it from amazon. They are charging $30 for two cans but at least they are not duping us into paying hidden fees. I haven’t received the product yet to give a review on how well it works.

• Laura

What a great suggestion. Thanks for that, and thanks to everyone who posted their reviews. I almost ordered this stuff.

• JP

Thank you so much for your reviews! I was going to order for my husband to fix leaky rain gutters. Glad I saw this site first. I will never order from them!

• Anonymous

u can scam also flex seal just pretend you have damage cans then asked for a reship and they will reship you right away, return the flex seal before 30 days end and ask for a refund or pretend your really upset and push bbb then they with refund your money right away…. my friend did that

• Take Charge Stuart

Call the station that aired the advertisement and complain that you will call and write the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) if they don’t immediately pull the commercial. Make sure you ask for the General Sales Manager and be certian to mention you will include his name in your complaint! -takechargestuart-

• James Lee Anderson

It looks like shit in a can. I’d rather go to Lowes or Menards and buy a good sealer durrrrrrrrrrr.

• Michael

Same thing happened to me. I wish I would’ve found this website before I ordered.. Im gonna go buy some spray-on bed liner….

• Williejr66

Just go to Bed Bath and Beyond . 12.99 per can . Boom – Done !………… (also – they have coupons all over the place for 20% off)

• Paul

A big thank you to everyone that has posted here I did not read one single positive comment. I am wondering if anyone has anyone actually used this stuff. I was considering sealing around an RV A/C unit with it. Or would it just turn out to be a big frustrating mess?

• Jim

You are absolutely right. When he comes back the black mark is all the way up to the rim unlike the previous shut.

• Naomi

I am so glad I found this feedback site. Just shows once more – if it sounds too good – it usually is .. I got scammed once by an “As Seen on TV” product, never again .. It was the same as described by so many on this blog. Thank you so much for letting the cat out of the bag. I will certainly not order from this company … It sounds outright fraudulent … I have a couple leaks in my roof and will fix them with my old proven method: Sealing fabric and heavy duty eleastomeric coating …
    Naomi, Tucson AZ

• Paul

I wish I found this site before ordering. I too got screwed for 4 cans – no option to review my order. They claimed that they would send me a shipping label and claimed that they were unable to cancel my order because it was already at the factory. They have to mail me a shipping label and are using delay tactics to appease me. I’m contacting American Express and the BBB. As for the product – so far doesn’t work. Theoretically should – but it is a mess.

• Judy

what a scam flex seal is!!!!! I ordered the buy one get one free for 19.95 plus shipping and my credit card was charged 158.59. I am still fighting to be reimbursed for 2 months now.Customer service is a joke also!!!!!!!! All I can say is beware SCAM SCAM SCAM

• Will

Oh and spread the word to all your family and friends….. To Buy from the autopart store, And on other products look into before u buy, STOP THE WORLD OF SCAMING

• Chris

Anyone interested in buying this product can purchase it at Altmeyer’s for $12.95 plus tax. I agree with the roofer who said to purchase at an Auto store “Rustoleum undercoating or a product used inside of truck beds.

• Mike

We should all call 1-800-307-6201 ext3 and voice our opinions. Plus we can all clog the phone lines if we constantly call them! Spread the word. We can also send them a million emails at: flexseal@webcsr.info

• Anthony

Glad I saw this site and all the warnings about flexseal scammers. I’m in Canada and when I tried to oder a recorded message said they can only ship to the continental USA. I now feel fortunate. I was going to have a friend in Florida order it for me and pick it up later. Rustoleum here I come.

• Lucynda Riley

I was watching the commercial with some friends before this review and they were wondering if it would work on our leaking chimney and I decided to look up product reviews. Especially after noticing that you can see the bottom of the boat through the screen door on the commercial. They obviously glued a screen door on the top and bottom of the boat.

• Jack

Thanks, Dave, for you comment posted 08/24/2011. I really can use something like Flex Seal for leaks, so I’m taking your advice and heading down to my local auto supply store and get the spray-on truck bed liner. I’ll even bet that I can get 2 cans for less than the $70 to $90 + range that they stick you with online.

• Carrol

I got two 16 oz cans of Permatex undercoating for 4.95/can. Fixed several places on my roof, especially some leaks where the A/C roof jack was leaking. I still have enough in the one can to make other repairs. Total cost $9.90. I can’t believe the Flex Seal can be any better but it’s certainly hyped better and you are paying more for the advertisement plus high shipping charges. Kinda like the bottled water phenomena. It is smart to use a product like Flex Seal but seems to me pretty dumb not to use the cheaper products.

• Cathy

What a ripoff! My husband purchased two cans of Flex Seal intending to use it on our leaky gutters. He did so, and it did NOT do anything..still major leaks even AFTER using TWO cans of it…so, this is a total joke…so, do not purchase this product if you need some leaks sealed because it doesn’t do anything but lay there, and run everywhere but where you need it.

• Sevfour

For those of you who want to try the product and not have to worry about the jumbo can or getting a 2nd one free or the cost of shipping just head down to you closest Wal-Greens and buy a can for 9.95. Rather than dealing with all these hidden costs it is the easiest way.

• flexy

Use you head people!!! Go to Walmart and get $5 cans of rubberized undercoating… It’s the same exact thing!

• Kathleen Lewis

Thank you so much for publishing this website! I was just about to order 2 cans of the stuff to fix a roof leak. Thanks to you and your commenters, I will just go to the automotive store and get some undercoating.

• byron agnew

just order bed liner or under coating online from auto zone or any other auto parts store they wont rip you of like the TV ads i think that wall mart lowes and home depot also sell spray on sealers and they all ship to you for an honest price on shipping..

• Robert Gibbs

I want everyone to know that If you look really close when that spokesperson is in the boat you can see the bottom of the boat through the screen. I have HD and I can clearly see the bottom of the boat through the screen in the door. It’s a fake ripoff scheme. Beware just look for yourself.

• Ron Folkerts

I’m sorry for each of you who fell for this scam.
    All this really is is automotive rubberized undercoating.
    You can get it at the store for about $6 per can…
    The stuff DOES work though.

• LINDA

Yahooooo, I just read all this and I too was going to order this stuff; roof problems with my shed. Now, I’m heading to the automotive store. (not to mention instant gradification!)

• Mike

Thank you for the referral about the Truck Bed Liner. I will do that instead of buy Flex Seal. Looks like too many ordering complaints.

• Griz

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who took the time to share their experiences. I was going to order 2 cans of this but will not now. Good luck getting your refunds.

• jim

forget the website you can get the same thing from a farm supply store in missouri called Orsheln, and i’m sure other retail outlets carry it as well. I just want to know has anyone actualy tried it before complaining about it? By the way retail it sells for 11.99 and no shipping charge.

• john

Thank you to all who posted on here! Another scam avoided! I will check an auto parts store or home improvement store for a product that both claims and does what it says it does!!! Good luck to you all!!

• barcode

Missouri represent! lol Love Orsheln’s and yes they do have almost the exact same thing and it works pretty good.

• Gabriel

I bought a can for a science fair project. I was lucky that in one of my Malls, they have an As Seen On Tv store. It sold for $24.99. I live in Canada which means it had to be shipped. They are really ripping you off. It takes a VERY long time to dry – 3-4 DAYS and still has some parts where some of the stuff gets on your hands. You need ALOT of coats (5 coats on a screen with very thin netting) it kept MOST of the water out when we poured a jug on it from about a foot away. We barely cvered anything. if you wanted to seal a gutter or something, you might need 3 – 4 CANS of this stuff. Guess what my conclusion will be? SCAM

• TJ P

Yea this company is a joke. I’m going to test their product this weekend but there are others out there on the market. Anytime a company forces you to buy more than what you need by deceptive practices goes to show what they think about their own product themselves.

• jerry

Thanks to all who complained, you saved me, I was also about to buy, but I will go with the bed liner idea. Thank You

• Susan

I always check before I even think about buying anything off TV and 99.9% of the time the reviews are just like these- scams, overcharges & no help w/ problems when it doesn’t work as promised. Face it, if they sell it in those informercials it’s probably crap. Almost all of it eventually ends up in stores, usually for less, so wait and buy it at Kmart, Walmart, Target or whatever, where there is no hassle to return it and you’re not paying like $40 to get 2 pieces of crap sent to your house 6 weeks after you ordered it. You can get better much cheaper products than this to fix leaks at any home improvement type store anyhow. It boggles my mind anyone buys that infomercial crap! OMG those rip off fat melter belts from years ago are back- they were a scam then & still are & why is it legal to rip people off like they do??? They really need laws to protect consumers! I do own and use one of those Chuck Norris exercisers & love it, but I bought it at a store after I was able to actually look at it there and, w/o the shipping, it was a lot cheaper. I happened to be at Kmart today and went down the “as seen on TV” aisle and looked at a bunch of products and it was all crap- nothing like it appeared to be on TV- none of it looked worth the price, but at least K mart will take it back!

• Eric

Why do we have a consumer protection agency? What do those people ACTUALLY DO every day?The amount of scams everywhere is unbelievable. From made for tv products to the whole supplement/vitamin industry that can make any claim, the scams are endless.

• mike

thanks for the site and all of the comments I was about to order flex seal and happened to notice the this site and started reading. I’ll now go to auto zone and get some spray on bed liner to seal the roof on my hunting camp trailer

• poppy

I wondered if this product did what it says it does. I decided to check online for reviews. The 1st 2 reviews I read were like “Dont buy this product untill you read this” I read the story and its just the flexseal company making these up. Then I found this page. After reading about all of Y’all who got scammed I will definatly not buy the product unless I see it in a store. What confuses me is the TV networks that allow such deceptive trade practices to advertise on thier channel. Is there a way to loet the networks know whats going on? Will they even care? As long as they get their $$$ I suspect they couldn’t care less!!!!!

• Mikey D

Yeah, you’re right. Also in one clip they show the door on the outside of the boat, then they show the screen door on the inside.

• TJ

me either! someone get a class action lawsuit on them and update me! thegoodrobot at yahoo .com

• Donald

Kept seeing the flex seal ad on TV, a friend of mine was trying to seal a portable building behind his house and bought some. After spending the about $100 on his order whitch he claims they made a mistake on and double charged him he bit the bullet and asked for my help using the product on the building. We sprayed the seams of the building and long story short, first time it rained the building was leaking hehe,(told him not to order stuff from TV) Anyways, I was in Wal-Mart a couple days later and saw a spray can of sealant in the painting supplies section and figured what the heck at 9.95 it was a bargain compared to what he spent and bought it for him. The next day we resprayed the roof even though I did go out and buy another can it did the trick. This was back in march and it is now may and he said it still is not leaking. I hope someone finds this helpful, goodluck!

• joe

Thank you all so much, for taking the time to warn others about this scam!!! I already had my credit card out and dialed their toll free number, when a knawing feeling kept telling me to just do a bit of research. Well. After reading all of these comments, I sure as heck don’t have any intention of EVER purchasing this product. And thank you all so much for the list of alternative products. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kevin K

So I went to Wal Mart because of Donald’s advice on this post that he picked up some sealant there. What did I find, Flex Seal on the shelf. $12.88 a can. This is in Canada. So thank you everyone for warning me about the website.

• tom

well you all should know its a scam when you see an orthodox jew car salesman with his sales pitch

• john

buy the stuff in the store you fool, then u dont have to worry about shipping charges and being sent duplicate orders…what a dumbass